World Academy W
Please log in
World Academy W
Please log in
World Academy W
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Academy W

A forum where Hetalia fans can join together to rp their favorite nations in an AU, high school setting. Loosely based on the Gakuen Hetalia game.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inAffiliate: FF
------------- Welcome to World Academy W, the academy of ambiguous location where all your dreams will come true~! Or perhaps none of them. It really depends how lucky you are. -------------
Make sure you check The Noticeboard for news about Cultural Day!

Introduction to Literary Theory

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Introduction to Literary Theory Empty
PostSubject: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 15, 2010 8:36 pm

Professor Mathias Sørensen dropped a rather heavy-looking paperback on his desk, with an audible thump.
'Now, this was a most satisfying thud' he announced cheerfully. 'Today I wanna do something similiar with you guys. Though sadly it does not involve dropping anything from any heights' he continued, sliding off briskly from the desk he'd just been sitting on and casually walking the class, hand in his pockets.

'But, I'd like you to think of books as physical objects' the Dane said, circling the class and talking, as one might, to a bunch of good friends, looking at them ever so often, trying to learn their faces and take them all in at once. Mathias had a rather good memory for faces, though same couldn't be said for names as he tended to forget them as quickly as he heard them, resolving to calling them all 'hens' and 'mates' and 'dudes' and other ridiculities. Huh. He'd have to work on that. 'It's been a long time since people thought of books like that. I mean, what do you guys think of first when you think of literature?'

Mathias faced them, rising his darkish eyebrows in enquiry.

'Most people think of literature as for example...works of Shakespeare, or Goethe or Pushkin. The text itself. Something that can be easily reprinted, remade, dropped into the watery pulp of wood and crafted freshly into a brand new volumine to put on yer shelf.' Mathias ploughed on, gesticulating and grabing a random book from a student he passed.
'Like this one' he raised it up demonstratively. 'Any bound, 'finished' book is called, as you probably heard from law terminology, a codex. And while nowadays we think of text as having 'value' not so long ago it was books, that had it' he looked at them with a bright smile. 'I mean think about the attributes that books had been given over the centuries. We've got medieval monks spending their lifetimes copying them, we've got books of magic when people believed that the book itself could cause mischief (I mean just look at the Witch Hunts across Europe), even Gutenbergs printing press did not change the value of books as you might think. I mean, just look at the Nazi movement. They not only tried to get rid of the copiable text but somehow we still believe that books, as material beings, can change us, can change how we think and how we are'

He wanted to get them thinking outside the box. Granted, Mathias Sørensen thought so much outside the box he had no idea where the box was. He knew (as he was repeatedly told by the Principal) that his chief duty was getting them all prepared for the exams but he sort of hoped he could get them to have fun in between. Innovation, creativeness! Love, Beauty and Truth!! And all that jazz.

'That why I want you to make a book' he grinned walking over back to his desk 'and Hell no, I don't mean write me one. I'll have enough of mentally scarring trauma reading over yer future essays, but I want you to make one.' he opened a cupboard and took out an armful of books. Old ones, some falling to pieces as they fell on the floor, yellowing pages flying. 'God them in a charity shop so I do apologize for the state' he said, not really apologentic at all since the task was to destroy them in the first place. 'Has anyone heard of an Artist's Books before?'

((alright sorry if I carried on a bit but I wanted to start the class first thing on, late students are of course welcome and so on))

Last edited by Mathias Sørensen on Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 2:39 am

Berwald had been sitting at the back of the classroom for a while already when the professor walked in and slammed his books down. That professor. And that sound.
He didn't like it at all. But then again that was because of obvious reasons.

Leaning back he kept his serious face, looking somewhere way to the side, not at that son of a bitch. He tried listening to the class but that voice... He should try to get this subject off his schedule. If he failed this class because of that thing he was going to be in trouble again.
He woule never admit it out loud (well he didn't talk much otherwise either), but he was the only one who could ever really get to Berwald.

He seems to have actually learned something in that university. Interesting. Berwald thought as his eyes caught a heap of old books. Now-- Berwald loved fixing, building and making things. And how he hated to admit to himself this had caught his interest.

((I'M HEREEEE <3))
Back to top Go down
Yao Wang
I'm 100% man aru!
Yao Wang

Birthday : 1991-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 9:49 am

The classroom's door swings open. Yao enters to room without any shame, even knowing he's already late. "Aiya, I'm sorry I'm late aru~" He sits on the 2nd row near the window side. Literature is not his favorite subject but he doesn't fail at it... unless it's about writing, he'd be more interested about it.

Last edited by Yao Wang on Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 7:01 pm

Lovino followed suit behind the Asian student, and just walking into the classroom not bothering to even give a excuse for his lateness and just taking a random seat next to the windows. Then making a point to stare out the windows instead of paying attention. All he could tell from prior to walking in, this professor was loud and annoying. So he was going to make a point to not care and fail on purpose just to make the professor look bad.

Feeling he ignored enough, Lovino turned his attention towards the professor as he multi-tasked and pulled out the hefty text from his shoulder bag on the floor. He already read through most of the book last night and just thought this is gonna be another loser teacher stroking their degree's ego and not teaching the true value of the words upon paper written by the masters.

Opening the text randomly, he thumbed his way to some random page, then pulled out a eyeglass case to take out his reading glasses,. Just in case he had to read in class, not that he would wear them, he felt uncool having to wear reading glasses. Still pointy ignoring the Professor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 2:02 am

Roderich had been situated in the second row beside the wall. He was sitting, perfectly poised and soaking in everything the teacher was saying, with quiet intrest. The Austrian enjoyed reading, usually books on music and biographys, but he wasn't interested in actually studing them. As the teacher continued he started to play a tune in his head, and started to drown out what the teacher was saying.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 7:51 am

Alec was seated a bit off from the center in the first row, only somewhat paying attention to his teacher at first. It's not that he didn't like literature, it's just that he always thought that the first day of any class was pretty slow and unproductive, so he didn't really listen until he heard the beginnings of what seemed to be their first assignment. His cheek had been resting in the palm of his hand, but the mentioning of making their own book made him snap back to attention with his back straight and face forward.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 pm

Mathias ended up waving in a vague gesture of acknowledgement to the late students. He had been late too many times himself (as a student) to even pretend being vexed. Though if they were to barge in late, he'd rather they didn't turn up at all, if you were gonna skip class, do it properly. God, the new generation had no class whatsoever, it was almost sad.

He was more disappointed about receiving some blank stares at his enquiry on artist's books. Have all annoying know-it-alls overslept at the same time today? Oh well, he would have to make do, besides he was really interested how this little experiment of his would turn out.

'An Artist's book, is' he started, abandoning the pile of books at his table and rummaging though the drawers in his desk to find some examples 'in short, what crudely might be called recycling. It is taking something that had already been made and molding it into something completely or partically (depending on the degree of alteration one wishes to apply of course) new.' the professor finally managed to present a sample from his utterly disorganized cupboard and lean it on the classroom's board for everyone to see 'Here's an example of what I want you to do. More or less.'

The young man took up his army of charity-donated books and distributed one or two per table.
'Now, you don't have to limit yerselves to what I give you. Yer can exchange them with one another. But I want youse all to make them new, understand? Draw on them, cut them to pieces, glue pages together, cut out bit of others and stick them into the text. Be creative. Make those abandoned books valuable again'

He dropped two books on Berwald Oxenstierna's desk. And his hand dropped on the boy's shoulder as well, the glint in those cerulean eyes nothing short of predatory.
'Yer not in Ikea anymore, Toto' Mathias said in a low teasing undertone only for them to hear. The smirk audible in his voice. 'Are yer sure yer can do it?'

Offering the Swede a challenging grin, he moved on to complete his journey around the classroom, making sure every one got their share of Oxfam rejects.
'Are we on the same planet, Mr. Tioseco?' Tioseco...was it? Mathias was pretty certain, he was the one that suggested helping out with technicalities in the Theatre Group. He gave the student that was zoning out in the front row an encouraging wink. 'I'd be most honoured if you chose to join us'

Facing the class he belowed happily.
'YOU MAY NOW BEGIN'
Back to top Go down
Yao Wang
I'm 100% man aru!
Yao Wang

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:02 pm

As soon as Yao received the books he started to browse the contents if there's anything interesting. Mentally, he started to brainstorm his ideas.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:12 pm

Lovino made a point to let out a yawn when the Professor began to ramble on again, in all honestly he tuned out the boisterous blonde in the same matter the American cartoon Peanuts made any adult sound like, just some annoying ‘wah wah wah’ noise. Idly following the Professor’s form about with a bored look upon his face, Lovino half listened to how the blonde gushed about taking what is old and making it new, much like a phoenix rising from the ashes. What was next, everyone holding hands and singing fucking hippie type music in a circle? Gad damn hippie wannabe professor.

Yet as the professor waltzed by his desk and placed a worn out novel upon his desk, Lovino promptly picked it up and shoved the book right back into the man’s hands. “No thank you.” Ignoring the professor’s reaction, Lovino returned to glazing out the window, his refusal to do the first assignment laid out before the class. Not that he cared, the class could go fuck themselves, and the professor can go back to dry humping his ego for his own satisfaction.

He decided that he was gonna skip class, as it was pointless to remain in the class since refusing to do the work. Collecting his stuff into his shoulder bag, Lovino stood up and walked out pass the professor. “I’m going to go do something more productive. Ciao.” He didn’t even bother to look at anyone as he made his way out of class.
Back to top Go down
Godmin
Admin

Birthday : 1990-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm

At the exact moment that Lovino decided to exit the class, Feliks was trying to sneak his way INTO the class. He had overslept, thus screwing up the amount of time it took to get ready, thus causing him to have to scramble to get to class ontime. Unfortunately, while he was running to class, one of his heels snapped... so he had to wobble back to the dorms to change his shoes. It was a pain, and now he was SUPER late, and he was soooo going to get it, he just knew it.

He looked to be a bit hurried-- his hair was a slight mess, and his stockings had rolled down slightly from the running. He didn't care, though. He was there now, and hopefully he could salvage his dignity and think of a good excuse before the teacher screamed, "Off with his head!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Alec's cheeks began to burn when the teacher came over to see that he was paying attention, and even more so when Mathias winked at him... talk about an embarrassing way to be caught day dreaming. "Y-yes sir!" he quickly stuttered before getting to work on their assignment. After flipping through a few pages of the dilapidated book, he found a page that had an interestingly shaped stain on it (forget about wondering what the stain was) and ripped it out to glue onto the cover. This was going to be an interesting class if this is what they were going to be doing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:20 am

'Very well' The Danish professor didn't even bat an eye-lid, taking the book back from the sulking boy. He grinned, more entertained by the other than anything else. Oh, this was going to be quite amusing after all, he decided, maybe being a teacher was not without it's perks (apart from a very perky Chemistry Professor to share a room with and summer vacation and yeah, two weeks off at Jul).

Not paying the boy much more attention, he turned back to Alec, who, having snapped back from his initial morning daze, was desperate to make amends. He smiled down brilliantly at the boy, who was already glueing a stained page onto the cover of his tattered paperback.
'Remember that there needs to be a decent amount of thought into it as well' Mathias added, going to sit at the edge of his desk so he'd still have a good view of everyone in the class. 'It's not just some random stickering. I bet some of you did a collage with our stunning Arts & Crafts professor, it's a little bit like that. It needs to have purpose. You'll have to tell me what you did, why and what it the ending effect once youse all are finished'

The tan boy, Italian...perhaps?
'Ciao' The Dane waved him off cheerfully, not even hiding his amusement. It was really too bad that Lovino's thunder was (unintentionally of course, of that one he was sure) stolen by a student that was trying his hardest not to get noticed.
'Ah a fair exchange!' Mathias said grinning, inviting the girl in. 'One for another'
He patted the student on her shoulder.

'Don't worry hen, we'll find you a place to sit...' he might have made a bit of a show of looking for where to place the blonde girl (oh was it a boy?). 'Ah. How about next to Mr. Oxenstierna over there? He'll tell you what we have been doing so far' he winked at the blonde. 'He might look scary, but I assure you he's as meek as a newborn lamb'
Back to top Go down
Kiku Honda
KIKU THE PEACE OFFICER OF WONDER AND AMAZEMENT
Kiku Honda

Birthday : 1990-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 11:25 am

Kiku quietly wrote down ideas for his book design in on some paper. Hmmmm what should i make? Something funky and modern or elegant , or vintage? He pondered those thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Godmin
Admin

Birthday : 1990-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 12:04 pm

The moment Feliks saw the tall blonde he was supposed to be sitting next to, his heart somewhat sunk. This guy... was scary-looking...

This was not going to be fun...

He walked in slowly, his face flushed with indignation as he took the seat next to the much taller male. He didn't even look at him, that's how scared he was.

Perfect time for his damn anxiety to act up... in a classromm full of people he couldn't escape from.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Alec had seemed to notice Feliks' nervousness and flashed the other a quick smile and a small wave before going back to work. He'd go over and actually talk to Feliks when class was over.

Hearing the teacher say that he actually had to have a reason for doing what they all did to their books made Alec pause for a minute to think. A couple ideas did come to mind, but... "Mr. Sorensen? Do you have one of those exacto knives or something I can use?" he asked, raising his and about halfway to catch the Dane's attention.
Back to top Go down
Yao Wang
I'm 100% man aru!
Yao Wang

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Yao collected every pages that had red, white and black. Then he started drawing a dragon, phoenix and peony flowers. He carefully cuts out each piece, slowly so he won't rip or loose any tiny piece.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:25 am

Mariella seemed to waltz into class in a semi-elegant manner. Oh, she wanted to seem... unnoticeable, for she wanted to slip by without getting in trouble. Though, knowing that it is Mathias, she knew that the worst consequence he can come up with would probably include some form of crude humor. Hn.

She took a seat and then immediately took out her mirror to re-apply lipstick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 16, 2010 3:12 pm

Berwald sent death glares after the teacher , hoping that he never noticed the tiny embarrassed blush that had appeared on his cheeks because of his comment. That man. One day, one day he would kill him. The book was left ignored as stare returned to the wall.

Suddenly that thing sent something that looked suspisciously much like a boy wearing girls' clothes in his way. Wait--Wxplain what we're doing? He wasn't even doing anything. He took a quick glance at the book in front of him, only to find an old and... well-used copy of the Kama Sutra.

That MUST have been on purpose. The glare going in the teacher's direction had no limits.
Why, oh why must that asshole of a son of a bitch be his teacher?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 18, 2010 9:50 pm

Surveying his class happily, the class working away, Mathias couldn't help but hope, with a satisfied little feeling at the back of his mind, like a breath of fresh air through the window, that this was somehow going to work. Ha! The Dane thought, standing ahead of his class like a captain of a flagship, who would have thought, Mathias Sorensen working in education. Pffft. He'd like to see the faces of his former teachers right now.

A hand waved him out of his self-appreciative traum. He glanced down, frowning. Huh, what was that...an extracto knife?
'Wait, lemme check' he said patting his chest and checking his trouser pockets. Ah, there it was. He placed it on Alec's desk. 'Careful, Mr. Tioseco' he said good-naturedly, winking at the boy'I want it back, it comes handy while picking locks'

'Vanackere!'he said, not even looking up as she sauntered in and sait down. He knew her well enough to know that the first thing she'd do after getting a sit was to reapply her lipstick.
'Vanackere! There's a better thing for you to do here' Mathias said, throwing Sense and Sensibility across the class. 'See what you can do with it'

Just as his eyes slipped off the Belle's younger sister, he noticed that while all of his students seemed to be busying themselves with books, one seemed rather idle.
'There a problem, Mr. Oxenstierna?'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 6:19 pm

It was barely fifteen minutes since he walked out of the blond moron's class when he was caught by a hall monitor and dragged back to Introduction to Literary Theory. the look on Lovino's face was a scowl so mean it looked like he had been sucking on lemons. He had in all honestly tried to out run the damn geek in the sash, but was caught when he tripped. The hall monitor cleared his throat to call attention to the professor and explain that this student was caught and returned to his proper classroom, and that it was suggested that the professor issue detention. Lovi's face just twitched at the geek in the sash for daring to suggest he should spend time with the idiot professor more then is needed.

((Throwing his sweet Italian ass back into your class to torture Mathias <3))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Introduction to Literary Theory   Introduction to Literary Theory I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Introduction to Literary Theory
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
World Academy W :: Old Threads :: RPs-
Jump to: